Based on the conversations we’ve seen over the last several weeks in the blog, I have some advice I want to pass on. While this is certainly not me trying to speak like the master of leadership, it’s advice I’ve received from a group of wise leaders who have invested in me over the years that has really helped me as a leader. So, here goes…
1. Seek out tough feedback on how you show up.
2. Learn how to lead and follow.
3. Become self aware.
4. Get in touch with your developmental stage.
5. Don’t blame—take responsibility—it’s good for you.
6. Leadership is not only about talking—this becomes really important
7. Develop your list of mentors now!
8. Keep success in perspective—self preservation and self sacrifice
9. Learn to write well.
10. Set learning and performance goals and shoot for them.
11. Be intentional—it makes you more interesting.
12. Don’t gossip—Ask yourself, what are you going to do about it?
13. There are lessons to learn right now—are you learning them? Write them down.
14. Take on a whatever it takes attitude
15. Don’t take yourself too seriously, but take others seriously
16. Why do you lead—three questions down.
17. Say you’re sorry.
18. Consider the stakes every day.
19. Be thankful.
20. Know that God loves you.